Thursday, June 23, 2011

2011-06-23 - Andreas's Version

Thought I would throw in my version of Sunday as it was quite the eventful day. It started with me deciding to go for a kite session. I got all rigged up had a flawless launch....ran out to the water dove my kite down to get going at which point I somehow came disconnected from the kite. The kite went to the leash which subsequently broke. So here I was standing in the water with a 2 foot piece of rope left in my hand watching $2000 blowing across the water to the other side of the river. I thought of trying to swim after it but it was just moving way to fast to have any chance of catching it. I was about to go grab my stand up paddle board when one of the other kiters suggested I grab the kayak that was sitting down by the water. I was reluctant but they told me no go ahead it is here for rescues. Okay fine. As I am picking up the kayak the owner comes over with a look on his face like...umm that's mine what are you doing..lol. After some exasperated words of trying to explain myself I was off to save my kite. Paddled out and retrieved it with no problems. I pieced my kite back together and even though the wind was now solid 4.7 for me I decided I better redeem myself to the other kiters and go for a quick kite session first. It was fantastic down at Arlington with only 2 or 3 kiters and a couple of windsurfers playing in the waves. I kited and Ross sailed on his 4.2 for 2 or 3 hours. It was a great session. The wind was constantly ramping up throughout the session. I came in to get packed up as we had a long drive ahead of us. After packing up the wind just kept getting stronger and stronger. It had to be one of the windiest days I had seen in several years and decided I had to go windsurfing. I rigged my 4.2 and ross and I headed back out. I was overpowered on my 4.2 and the waves were huge. Wicked session. Here is were it gets interesting...

I come in and there are a few guys on the beach asking how I'm feeling. Exhausted..but what's up. Turns out they can't find one of their buddies. He was supposed to be out for 15 more minutes and then coming in. It had been an hour and they can't see him anywhere. I get a description and tell them I will go out and take a look. Well first reach out upwind I find his gear but the guy is not with it. I take a look around and cannot find him. I decide the best thing to do is get back to shore and try and get the rescue boat the kiters have in the water. They phone the sheriff and while I am talking with the guys about the boat a lady comes up to me and says "are you Andreas"? Yes...well your friend Ross is broken down on the other side. He is try to get to arlington but I'm not sure if he will be able to. Great. I figured the guy missing with no gear was probably more a priority as Ross was with all his stuff still. I tell her I will be there when I can and proceed to go back out looking for the other guy along with the boat. I find his gear right away again and start sailing around looking on shore. After about 10min of looking I finally see someone climbing up the rocks by the railway tracks. It was him. Thank god. You just never know. 70 year old guy separated from his gear in huge waves and 3.7 conditions. I tell the boat on the way back to shore and they go to pick him up. I get back to shore to let the other guys know their buddy is okay. Now it's off to find Ross.

I was told he was trying to get into the bay at Arlington so I head there first. On the way there I ended up on probably one of the biggest waves I have ever been on in the gorge. Sorry Ross but I figured after 30min what's another minute. I get to Arlington. Can't find him but someone with binoculars thinks he sees him and that the rescue boat was close to him. I had told them where the other guys gear was but they were looking for it in the wrong spot....which was good for Ross. When they came upon him they thought are you holding on to that other guys gear for him. No...but I could sure use a ride. lol. We are both back to shore exhausted but what a great day.

We had planned to drive to Sandpoint or the border but only made it to Pasco for a bear and burger to talk about all the carnage and big wind and waves of a fantastic last day in the Gorge.

As usual once again I had a great trip with you guys. Looking forward to the next one!
- Show quoted text -
--
Pipeline Surf
10169 - 104 St.Suite 2
Edmonton, AB T5J1A5
888-470-5990
780-421-1575
info@pipelinesurf.ca
www.pipelinesurf.ca

1 comment: